For Immediate Release
Victoria, B.C. How to do Everything Well: Be in a Good Mood.
“Laughter Yoga can change your mood within minutes by releasing endorphins from your brain cells. And if your mood is good, you are at your best. You do everything well.” – Dr. Madan Kataria, founder of Laughter Yoga.
World Laughter Day Sunday, May 4th 11am at Beacon Hill Park, by the sundial.
On Sunday, May 4th, thousands will be laughing in parks and other public places for no reason. It’s called World Laughter Day and it’s an annual event for the members of the over 7,000 Laughter Yoga clubs around the globe.
Laughter Yoga Based on “Laughter is the Best Medicine” Concept, Now Proven by Science.
World Laughter Day grew out of Laughter Yoga which was the brainchild of Dr. Madan Kataria. Dr. Kataria was doing research for a paper on “Laughter is the best medicine.” What he found was an abundance of research showing the many health benefits of laughter. So he said to himself, if laughter is so good, why don’t we do it?
He started with 5 people in a park in Mumbai, India in 1995 and Laughter Yoga has taken on a life of its own, growing to over 7,000 laughter clubs around the world.
Laughter Yoga Has Changed Lives.
Local Certified Laughter Yoga Teacher Matti Anttila says his life changed: “I found I am
now able to many of the daily stresses of life, from anxiety at work to simple things life a driver cutting me off in traffic. I used to get upset at some drivers. Now I smile and often laugh. Not at the driver but just to release the stress. I am a more relaxed driver now and actually enjoy driving a lot more. In fact, I enjoy just about everything more these days.”
Stress is the Number One Killer
Constant stress has contributed to the health challenges we all face. By releasing stress, we improve our lives.
Improved Work Performance.
Independent scientific studies have now shown that when we are happy, we:
1) are 31% more productive,
2) make 19% fewer mistakes, and
3) make 37% more sales is we are in sales**
We Need 10-15 Minutes of Sustained Laughter to Get the Health Benefits
Laughing at jokes doesn’t give the real and proven medical benefits that laughter can bestow. We need to laugh for an extended period of ten to fifteen minutes for the “feel-good” hormones such as the endorphins to kick in.
That should be no problem this Sunday as the World Laughter Day event is scheduled to be one hour from 11am to 12 noon at Beacon Hill Park at the sun dial.
The benefits of laughter have been known instinctively for a long time. It’s only in recent decades that actual scientific research has proven the old adage “Laughter is the best medicine.” Dr. Kataria, who founded the first Laughter Yoga club with 5 participants in a park in India in 1995, read about how Norman Cousins laughed himself back to health from a debilitating disease.
His subsequent research for a medical article on laughter lead him to a large body of scientific studies validating the health benefits of laughter. Laughter Yoga has since grown to over 6,000 clubs in 60 countries.
Some of the benefits noted:
* Efficient Exercise (One minute of hearty laughter is the equivalent of 10 minutes on a treadmill. -Dr. W. Fry in Journal of General Psychology, 1938)
* Tap “The Inner Spirit of Laughter.” (Founder Dr. Madan Kataria says Laughter Yoga principles can provide a powerful life changing experience.)
* Conquer stress (Laughter Yoga participants report feelings of relaxation while still feeling energized following a session.)
* Improve circulation (Any exercise can do that, but even fit participants find they may have to pace themselves because of the aerobic aspect of Laughter Yoga. Regardless, those with physical challenges find they still receive many benefits.)
* Slow the Aging Process By re-discovering “child like play,” participants find many cares and woes dropping away, or at least retreating into the background for a time. This has helped many to retain youthfulness and a youthful attitude.
* Boost Imnunity Both the laughter itself and the deep breathing techniques from yoga help to release the “feel good” hormone endorphin into the brain. Endorphins have been shown to increase the immune function.
* Assist in Clearer Thinking More oxygen to the brain helps to clear up “fuzzy brain.”
* Help Fight Cancer Dr. Otto Warburg, President, Institute of Cell Physiology, Nobel Prize Winner (twice) says: “Deep breathing techniques increase oxygen to the cells and are the most important factors in living a disease-free and energetic life. When cells get enough oxygen, cancer will not and cannot occur.” (My bolding)
** From Shawn Achor, author of The Happiness Advantage
7 Health Benefits of Laughter. Laughter might be the best medicine
Victoria Laughter Yoga Club
110-174 Wilson Street
Victoria, BC V9A 7N7
Contact: Matti Anttila, Certified Laughter Yoga Teacher 778-350-8608 Victorialaughteryogaclub@gmail.com
April 22, 2014